But God who is rich in mercy, because of His great love Ephesians 2:4
Beloved, in the Greek Language there are 6 words to denote the different kinds of love that exist. 5 kinds of love exist in the character of God. The 6th kind is self-love (narcissism, vanity, self-admiration) which we see exclusively in satan. Let us only look at the love that we see in our Lord.
1) Phileo – this speaks of the love that exists between friends (affection, fondness & companionship). Jesus calls us His friends (John 15:15). He is with us even to the end of the age (Matthew 28:20). He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5)
2) Storge – this speaks of the love (natural affection) that exists between parents and children. Romans 8:15 calls God ‘Abba Father’. Psalm 27:10 & Isaiah 49:15 both say that even if our earthly parents forsake us, the Lord is there for us to take care of us as a father and mother. Hebrews 12:5-10 says He disciplines us like a Father would do, because we are His sons/daughters.
3) Eros – this speaks of romantic love. The relationship of God with the nation of Israel and Christ to His church is often compared in scripture to that of a husband and wife. We see examples of it in the books of Jeremiah, Hosea, Ephesians and Revelation very much. That is how much He loves His chosen people.
4) Pragma – this speaks of longstanding love as in a long-standing marriage. In Jeremiah 31:3, the Lord says ‘Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love.’ Romans 8:35 says nothing can separate us from the love of God.
4) Agape – this is defined in Greek as Godly love or sacrificial love. John 15:13 ‘greater love has no one than to lay down one’s life for his friends.’ Christ gave His own life for us.
In God we see all 5 types of love perfected. 5 in Scripture signifies the word Grace. Hence when His love fills us and we walk in His love we too will attain godliness and perfection (1 Corinthians 13:10). May God bless you.